Choosing an ATM
1. If possible, you should choose ATM you use regularly, or at least one located in a safe place.
2. Observe the locale of the ATM before using it, and avoid using it if there is a suspicious person in that area.
3. Avoid using purse or wallets while queuing to use the ATM, get your ATM card ready before using it.
4. Observe whether the ATM has been modified. For example, check the card insertion slot or keyboard, and whether there is any abnormal object attached to it…if there is, you should not use that ATM.
Moreover, you should check the screen, as to whether it shows a message that is different from the one you are familiar with. If you suspect that the ATM has been modified, you should use another ATM instead, and inform the Bank owning that ATM.
5. Avoid using an ATM with a message or sign warning you that the introduction steps to using that ATM have been changed, particularly if the message is attached above the card insertion slot, because the Bank does not have a policy of attaching messages or signs on the exterior of ATMs, especially upon modification.
Using an ATM
6.Be careful especially when an strangers offer to help you while you are using the ATM, even if you are having transaction problems like a stuck card, and take caution against other persons drawing your attention while you are using an ATM.
7. While queuing to use the ATM, you should maintain a distance from other persons, and be careful that other persons may be peeping while you are entering your PIN.
8. While using ATMs, you should stand close to it and hide the keyboard with your hand while pressing PIN. You might use your middle finger knuckle to key in the PIN instead of using your fingertip.
9. Follow the steps displayed on screen, for example, a message informing you that you must not enter your PIN until instructed to by the ATM, etc.
10. If you feel that the ATM is not functioning normally, you should press, “Cancel”, get the card back and go use a different ATM, instead. Moreover, you should inform the Bank that owns the ATM.
11. You should not insert your card forcefully.
12. Keep the transaction slip every time as evidence to compare with your monthly statement.
13. If your card is stuck, lost or confiscated, you should contact the Bank immediately.
14. You should not conduct transactions hurriedly, and you should put your card and money in away your wallet or purse before leaving the ATM.
What you should do in using ATMs
15. Remember your PIN (if you deem it necessary to write down the PIN, it should not be kept in the same place as the card).
16. You should not reveal your PIN to other persons, even family members, colleagues or policemen.
17. You should not set a PIN that can be easily guessed, like your Birthday, etc.
18. Change your PIN periodically, or immediately after another person has discovered it.
19. You should limit withdrawals to appropriate amounts by informing the branch where you have your account.
20. You should check your ledger balance and deposit passbook regularly, and if you observe any irregularities, please inform the Bank immediately.
- You should make sure you sign the back of the card immediately when obtaining the card.
- Keep the card safely and virtually like cash, you should not leave the card at home, office, in a vehicle or public place.
- If possible, you should not let the purse or wallet where you keep your card out of your sight in public places.
- Be careful about conducting transactions. For example, you should not give your card to a waiter to make payment. If you have to give the card to a cashier, please observe them while they swipe the card and that it is not swiped twice on two different machines. If you observe any suspicious action, please inform the Bank immediately.
- Record the card number of all your cards and the telephone numbers in case you lose the card and keep them in safe place. You should check regularly that none of your cards is missing.
- You should not reveal your card number on the telephone or over the Internet with unaccountable shops or companies.
- You should read and understand the right reservation in using card that is issued by cardholder or contact the Customer Relations Department if you have any inquiries about the right reservation.
- You should be careful in using your card at shops, restaurants, in e-commerce, or over the telephone before inquiring about security in using such services with the Bank.
General Information: Forms of ATM crime
- Stuck Cards: Criminals may install some device to hamper card withdrawal from the ATM slot and will retrieve the card after the card owner walks away from the ATM.
- Cloning cards: Criminals may install some card-copying device that is capable of copying data on your card’s magnet strip to use in cloning your card.
- Switching cards: Criminals may secretly switch your card for a fake one while you are conducting a transaction.
- Peeping at your PIN: Criminals may try to stand close to the cardholder while they are keying in their PIN.
- Peeping at your PIN: By peeping from a distance, using binoculars or surreptitious cameras.
- Destroying the machine by damaging the card insert slot, which would make the machine unable to accept cards.
- Forcing the machine open to steal cash from the ATM.
- Modifying the machine: The criminal attaches a message or symbol to the ATM with the objective of seducing the card user into following alternative procedures conducive to criminal acts.
- Robbery or theft while standing at an ATM.
- Internet crimes: the criminal creates a website that looks accountable. The cardholder is asked to submit a card number, PIN and other information that is sufficient to make a cloned card